About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The CRM Technical Manager is a principal member of UMass Amherst's campus wide relationship management strategy team, utilizing the Salesforce and Marketing Cloud platforms. The CRM Technical Manager oversees technical elements in the use of the Salesforce platform at UMass. Working closely with fellow CRM team members as well as UMass stakeholders, including IT, the CRM Manager is responsible for the use of data from Salesforce and other sources in support of mass communications and marketing initiatives. Responsibilities include planning and building audiences and associated segments as well as building automations and journeys. The CRM Technical Manager manages student workers in a data integrity initiative as well as monitors analytics associated with marketing and communications.
- Serves as the technical lead; oversees work associated with managing the data used for communications, including collaboration with IT and other key stakeholders. Manages a team of student workers to ensure data integrity. Creates and vets data extensions for key audiences including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and various ad hoc lists (upload tool). Works closely with the CRM Data Analyst to ensure data from Flagship360, including Marketing Cloud, is properly flowing into reports and data visualizations.
- Project manages technical initiatives in support of recruitment and mass communications.
- Manages and supports all aspects of the experience for communicators and recipients, including configuration and updates of business units, associated profiles, role management, directories (file naming and organization), all technical aspects of the preference center, and the functioning of automations and journeys.
- Resolves support tickets associated with mass communications. Responsible for VIP sends for all units where primary communicators are unavailable.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree and 2 years of related experience, including:
- experience using Marketing Cloud Email Studio.
- experience in a technical role regarding communications or experience working with a customer relationship management (CRM) platform/application.
- Experience with interconnected data sources.
- Ability to understand CRM data structure and the information flow into communications platforms.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong customer service and collaborative skills.
- Self-sufficiency and the ability to take direction.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Marketing Cloud administration certification.
- Proficiency with Service/Sales Cloud.
- Proficiency with Tableau or equivalent data visualization tool.
- Proficiency with Dell Boomi or similar ETL tool.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee's work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.